May 3, 2023, New Delhi, India: Plus over 50 new features and upgrades based on feedback from our community, including total price display, transparent checkout instructions, improved maps, redesigned wishlists, and more
With the pandemic finally over, this year we’re expecting over 300 million guest arrivals on Airbnb. To prepare, we’re making the most extensive set of improvements to Airbnb ever, starting with the introduction of Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on the original Airbnb. We’re also launching over 50 new features and upgrades that address top feedback from our guests and Hosts across the end-to-end Airbnb experience.
ALSO READ: Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham to Host ‘TRANSCENDING CONVERSATIONS’ to Highlight Gender Equality
Introducing Airbnb Rooms
Airbnb began as a way to stay in a room in someone else’s home. This original idea of sharing a home offers two unique benefits. First, it’s more affordable for guests. More than 80% of private rooms are under $100/night, with an average rate of $67/night. Second, staying with a Host is a great way to meet someone new and experience the city like a local.
We think this idea is more important than ever. In the current economic environment, people want to travel affordably. And after years of being isolated during the pandemic, they’re looking for ways to connect with people and have authentic experiences. Now is the perfect time to stay in a room in someone else’s home. But for even more people to try it, they have to feel comfortable staying with a Host.
Today, we’re introducing Airbnb Rooms, an all-new take on the original Airbnb. Guests have told us that they want to know more about who they’re staying with. Every Airbnb Room features a Host Passport, which helps guests get to know their Host before booking their stay. We’ve also created a Rooms category with over 1 million listings, redesigned filters and added new privacy features.
“With Airbnb Rooms, we’re getting back to the idea that started it all – back to our founding ethos of sharing,” said Brian Chesky, Airbnb co-founder and CEO. “Airbnb Rooms are often more affordable than hotels, and they’re the most authentic way to experience a city. This is the soul of Airbnb.”
- Host Passport – We want every guest to feel comfortable staying with a Host. Exclusive to Airbnb Rooms, the Host Passport helps you get to know your Host before booking your stay. Simply tap the Host Passport to view a larger photo and details Hosts have shared about themselves, including where they went to school, what they do for work, fun facts about themselves, and much more.
- Airbnb Rooms category – Airbnb Rooms are easy to discover, with a new category featuring a curated set of 1 million private bedrooms. Listings include access to shared spaces, like the kitchen, living room, or backyard.
- Redesigned filters – We’ve redesigned the “type of place” filter to make it easy to switch between Airbnb Rooms, entire homes, or all types of places. It’s simple to view the average price for each type of place with an enhanced price filter that updates based on your choice.
- New privacy features – We know that when you’re sharing a home, privacy is important. All Airbnb Rooms will clearly indicate if the bedroom door has a lock. The listing page also shows whether the bathrooms are shared or private, and whether people other than the Host will be in the home during your stay.
50+ new features and upgrades based on your feedback
In preparation for an anticipated record-setting travel season, we’re improving nearly every aspect of the Airbnb service – and we’re doing it based on feedback from our community.
To improve our service, we took a design-driven approach. We started by storyboarding the guest and Host journey – from sign up to checking out, and every step in between. We created a blueprint of the experience – every screen, every policy, and every interaction with customer support mapped out. Then, we analyzed millions of customer service tickets and mapped them across the journey. We also reviewed thousands of social media posts and spoke with hundreds of thousands of guests and Hosts about how to improve Airbnb.
“Millions of people have given us feedback on how to improve Airbnb. We’ve listened,” said Brian Chesky. “Today, we’re introducing the most extensive set of updates ever. Our design-driven approach means we’re always making Airbnb better, and our over 50 new features and upgrades are just the beginning. We will never stop improving Airbnb.”
Here are just a few of the 50+ new features and upgrades we’re launching for guests starting today:
- Total price display – Guests can view the total price with fees, before taxes, across the entire app including in search results, price filter, maps, and listing pages.
- Transparent checkout instructions – Guests can now view checkout instructions on the listing page before booking, and they’ll receive a reminder before they leave the home. During the review process, guests can tell us about any excessive requests. And listings with repeated low ratings from unreasonable chores will be removed from Airbnb.
- Improved maps – Used by more than 80 percent of guests, we’ve updated maps with faster performance, persistent pins when zooming and panning, and more results when searching.
- Redesigned wishlists – Wishlists now include a redesigned interface, one-tap saving, and an improved calendar that shows availability of wishlisted homes. Guests can also add notes to any wishlisted listing – making it easier to remember why they loved it.
- Simpler and more affordable monthly stays – For stays over three months, we’re significantly reducing the guest service fee after the third month. Guests in the US can also save for stays over one month when paying with their linked bank account. And when searching, the new Months tab features an all-new interface that makes it easy to dial in a range from 1-12 months.
- Priority customer service on a trip – We created a dedicated 24/7 support team for priority access when you’re on a trip, with a goal of answering 90% of calls in English in two minutes or less.
- Pay over time – Through a new partnership with Klarna, guests in the US and Canada can apply to pay for stays in four interest-free installments over six weeks. For bookings over $500, guests can apply to pay monthly (US only). More countries will be added throughout the year.
- Instant rebooking credit – If a Host cancels within 30 days of arrival, most guests will receive an instant credit that can be used to rebook another stay immediately.
As part of the 50+ new features and upgrades, we’re launching 25 improvements for Hosts, including new pricing tools to help Hosts set competitive prices, easily add weekly and monthly discounts, and compare their listing to similar ones in their area. We’re also including a yearly view in calendar, the ability to easily enter checkout instructions, read receipts and new quick replies in messaging, and more.
Worldwide rollout starting today
Airbnb Rooms and over 50+ new features and upgrades for guests and Hosts will begin rolling out this week. Hosts can try new features today by enrolling in Airbnb Early Access.
Forward Looking Statements
This press release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of the “safe harbor” provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 about us and our industry that involve substantial risks and uncertainties. All statements other than statements of historical facts contained in this press release, including, but not limited to, statements regarding travel trends, the travel industry and the future of travel, the behavior of Hosts and guests and about our future performance, prospects, plans and objectives are forward-looking statements.
In some cases, you can identify forward-looking statements because they contain words such as “anticipate,” “may,” “will,” “plan,” “expect,” “could,” “potential,” “objective,” or “continues” or the negative of these words or other similar terms or expressions that concern our expectations. Although we believe that we have a reasonable basis for each forward-looking statement contained in this press release, we cannot guarantee that the future results, levels of activity, or events and circumstances reflected in the forward-looking statements will be achieved or occur at all.
Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of known and unknown risks, uncertainties, assumptions, and other factors that may cause actual results to differ materially from the objectives expressed or implied in this press release. Therefore, you should not rely upon forward-looking statements as predictions of future events. Important factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those indicated in the forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, the effects of global macroeconomic conditions, including inflation, slower growth or recession, higher interest rates and currency fluctuations on us, the travel and hospitality industries, the demand for travel or similar experiences, travel trends, and the global economy generally; changes in political, business, and economic conditions, including current geopolitical tensions and regional instability; and the other risks listed or described from time to time in Airbnb’s filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the “SEC”), including Airbnb’s Annual Report on Form 10-K for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2022, Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended March 31, 2023 and subsequent Form 10-Qs and Form 8-Ks, which are, or will be, on file with the SEC and available on the investor relations page of Airbnb’s website.
All forward-looking statements speak only as of the date of this press release and are based on information and estimates available to us as of the date of this press release. We expressly disclaim any obligation to update or revise any information contained in this press release, except as required by law.
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed 1.4 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
This year educate yourself and develop your career with EasyShiksha