- UK, US and places across Europe are the most popular international destinations amongst Indian travellers
- Continuing to see strong signs of travel recovery, overall nights booked in India have grown by 70 percent when comparing full-year 2022 with pre-pandemic 2019
- Goa, Bengaluru, Pune, Delhi and Kullu tops the charts for domestic travel amongst Indian guests
- Solo and Family travel remains the most popular type of travel for Indian guests
New Delhi, 17 May 2023 – Thelatest data from Airbnb has revealed that nights booked for International travel by Indian guests more than doubled in Q1 2023 when compared to Q1 20221. The United Kingdom, United States, and various European countries have emerged as the top destinations among Indian travelers looking to travel abroad2.
While international travel has gained momentum, Indians are also seeking domestic travel adventures, indulging in beach getaways, city escapades, and serene vacations in the hills. Goa takes the top spot among the most booked domestic destinations, followed by Bengaluru, Pune, Delhi, and Kullu3. Overall nights booked in India have grown by 70 percent when comparing full-year 2022 with pre-pandemic 2019, while domestic nights in India grew by almost 110 percent.
ALSO READ: QYUKI Digital Media gave a memorable experience to their creators at Rema’s concert in Mumbai
Airbnb has also observed a continued enthusiasm among international guests to visit India and immerse themselves in the country’s rich culture and heritage. The United States stands out as the leading origin for Airbnb guests visiting India, along with the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, and Canada5.
Amanpreet Singh Bajaj, Airbnb’s General Manager for India, Southeast Asia, Hong Kong and Taiwan, said, “The strong enthusiasm we are witnessing for travel presents a remarkable opportunity to foster meaningful connections. It reflects the growing confidence and eagerness among Indian travelers to explore new destinations and create lasting memories. Alongside our vibrant Host community, we want to help ensure India has a diverse range of accommodation options needed to harness the travel rebound, while also helping to promote responsible travel practices that allow people to genuinely connect with local communities and immerse themselves in the country’s rich cultural heritage. We’re committed to working closely with the government and industry stakeholders to support and accelerate the ongoing travel recovery.”
Airbnb’s Travel Outlook for 2023
- In 2023, exploring off-the-beaten-path destinations has garnered significant interest, providing travelers with the opportunity to discover new places without preconceived notions.
- Solo travel is on the rise, with individuals seeking nature-based experiences to find balance and reconnect with themselves. The flexibility and freedom offered by solo travel, along with the desire for peace and solitude in rustic locales, have contributed to its surge. Airbnb’s data indicates that solo travel in India has nearly doubled compared to the same period last year6.
- Traveling with family on Airbnb remains popular amongst Indians, and has witnessed a remarkable surge of over 110 percent year-on-year7. Airbnb accommodations cater to families, with nearly 90 percent of stays equipped with kitchens, a quarter offering three bedrooms or more, and over a million accommodations providing cribs for small children.
- India has also witnessed a significant rise in responsible tourism, as travelers increasingly prioritize travel that promote responsible practices, such as community-based tourism, eco-tourism, and cultural tourism. Responsible travel allows individuals to deeply connect with local cultures and lifestyles, providing authentic and unique experiences.
- Moreover, there is a growing demand for unique accommodations that go beyond traditional offerings, with travelers seeking distinctive spaces such as treehouses, houseboats, and farm stays.
Summer Travel Trends
As the summer season unfolds, Indian travelers are eagerly embracing both domestic and international destinations. Puri, Chennai, Goa, Dehradun, Mumbai, Kochi, Kolkata, Bengaluru, Munnar, and Nainital have emerged as the top trending domestic summer destinations8, capturing the essence of India’s diverse landscape. Internationally, Bali, Lucerne, Vienna, Paris, Lisbon, Split, Rome, Prague, Singapore, and Bangkok have been attracting Indian travelerswith their captivating charm.
1 Based on nights booked data by Indians for international booking when comparing Q1 2023 vs Q1 2022
2 Based on Airbnb bookings data between 31 March 2022 – 31 March 2023
3 Based on Airbnb bookings data between 31 March 2022 – 31 March 2023
4 Based on nights booked data in India when comparing full-year 2022 with pre-pandemic 2019
5 Based on Airbnb bookings data between 31 March 2022 – 31 March 2023
6 Based on Airbnb bookings data between 31 March 2022 – 31 March 2023 vs 31 March 2021 – 31 March 2022
7 Based on Airbnb bookings data between 31 March 2022 – 31 March 2023 vs 31 March 2021 – 31 March 2022
8 Based on increase in searches of destinations (minimum 1000) in Q1 2023 compared to Q1 2022
Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed 1.4 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
This year educate yourself and develop your career with EasyShiksha