- Based on a survey conducted with technology professionals and students
- 73% express a high likelihood of exploring careers in online skill gaming, indicating strong interest in the sector’s growth
- 68% of respondents believe opportunities in the online skill gaming sector can contribute to improving their overall skill sets
National, September 08th, 2023: The E-Gaming Federation (EGF) and Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata (ISIK) have unveiled a comprehensive study titled “Unveiling the Potential and Scope of the Online Skill Gaming Industry: A Study with Technology Students and Professionals.” This study sheds light on the growing attraction of the online gaming sector within India’s technology community. This study, aimed at understanding the aspirations and perceptions of tech enthusiasts, has yielded remarkable insights into the online skill gaming industry’s potential to drive India’s technological and economic growth.
Conducted through an extensive survey of 4644 individuals across Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Kerala, Karnataka, and Tamil Nadu, the study demonstrates a very strong interest among both students and professionals in the online skill gaming sector. Notably, 73% of respondents expressed a strong inclination towards pursuing a career within this dynamic domain, highlighting the sector’s vast growth potential. Furthermore, 68% acknowledged its role in enhancing skill sets, while 60% believed that a chance to create for the world in India could stem the brain drain to overseas tech jobs.
On the unveiling, Dr. Diganta Mukherjee, Professor at the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, said, “The research highlights the symbiotic relationship between technology and gaming. As the industry rapidly evolves, we have a unique opportunity to harness the creative potential of our youth and build a robust ecosystem that nurtures both technological innovation and economic growth.”
Dr. Subhamoy Maitra, Professor at the Indian Statistical Institute, Kolkata, “This analysis unearths a strong belief among the respondents that India’s homegrown gaming industry can reduce the brain drainage of talents in the technology domain, offering them opportunities towards innovation and growth right here on home soil. Within the larger gaming domain, from an intellectual point of view, skill gaming enjoys a particularly strong interest among technology professionals.”
“The online skill gaming industry is the new rapidly rising industry in the era of digitalization. The sector continues proliferating, with cutting-edge technologies, trends, and consumer and business interests driving innovation. This is reflected in the significant interest of tech professionals and students considering a career in the industry, owing to the substantial investment the sector has made in cutting-edge technologies like AI/ML over the last decade. The recognition that India has the potential to become a center for global gaming innovation would ensure the industry’s ability to grow, create employment opportunities, and meaningfully contribute towards the $1 Trillion digital economy vision of our Hon’ble Prime Minister,” concluded Mr. Malay Kumar Shukla, Secretary of the E-Gaming Federation.
During the academic year 2021-22, over 200,000 Indian students pursued higher education in the United States1, while the Indian IT sector faced a persistent 25.2% attrition rate in 20212. The continuing trend of talent exodus forecasts the potential departure of 2 to 2.2 million IT-BPM professionals by 20253. Amidst this scenario of talent drain, the online gaming sector emerges as a promising career avenue, fostering skill growth and innovation within India’s tech landscape.
The study also showcases the online skill gaming sector’s appeal to highly skilled engineers, with 55% of respondents identifying it as a preferred domain due to its emphasis on technology adaptation and innovation. This sentiment aligns with the industry’s rapid integration of advanced technologies like AI/ML and VR, positioning India as a leading force in technological advancements.
Among the other key takeaways from the study:
- Around 67% participants showed a willingness to pursue professional education in the gaming sector, indicating a desire to up-skill and contribute to the industry’s growth.
- Individuals showed a diverse range of interests in technology areas related to gaming, with 31% favouring Hard-core Programming, 42% interested in Theories related to Algorithms, AI/ML, Hardware, and 22% inclined towards Art Software and animation tools.
- When it comes to the online skill gaming sector, subjects cited Programming (44%), Testing and Automation (40%) and Art (16%) as interest areas.
- While acknowledging the significance of Data Science and AI in the online gaming business, 63% of respondents believe that current courses/education need to be more tailored to the sector’s needs.
- An overwhelming 54% expressed a need for specialisation in Online Gaming in Bachelor’s courses related to Computer Science and Engineering.
- Majority (75%) expressed a preference for careers in technology areas related to 5G, metaverse, VR, and other new technologies, indicating the sector’s potential to attract talent through innovation.
- Participants recognized the potential of ‘Gamification’ in expanding the scope of the gaming industry, with 56% agreeing that it offers tremendous opportunities for innovation.
- Over 62% individuals perceived that the opportunities in the online skill gaming sector can enhance the overall skill sets of students and employees alike.
The study’s insightful analysis emphasises the vital role the sector could play in India’s economic and technological trajectory. To realise this potential, it is imperative that policymakers, industry stakeholders, and academia work hand in hand to create an environment that fosters innovation, skill development, and entrepreneurship.
The E-Gaming Federation (EGF) is a not-for-profit organization, founded under the Societies Regulation Act to protect consumer interest and self-regulate the Indian e-gaming sector. By developing a standard framework and operational guidelines based on the principles of safe, transparent, fair, and responsible gaming, EGF endeavors to build a unified voice shaping a favourable policy environment for regulated online gaming.
With an objective to bring a positive change in perception regarding the e-gaming industry, EGF endorses ‘Responsible Play’ to protect players by allowing them to minimize or stop indulging in gameplay beyond their means or for excessive periods. EGF-certified online gaming platforms offer responsible play features to the players that are intended to ensure a fair and safe online gaming experience while protecting players from any adverse consequences of online gaming.
This year educate yourself and develop your career with EasyShiksha